Re: TUTORIAL.bg and windows-1251

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: TUTORIAL.bg and windows-1251
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:21:39 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Ognyan Kulev <address@hidden> writes:
> Updated etc/TUTORIAL.bg is attached.  Mostly punctuation errors are
> fixed and windows-1251 is used.  (The only reason that current
> TUTORIAL.bg uses koi8-r is because at that time Emacs couldn't use
> windows-1251 without evalling (codepage-setup 1251).)

> Unfortunately, one problem with windows-1251 still remains.  When using
> windows-1251 coding system, Emacs tries to use iso10646-1 fonts even
> when it has no cyrillic characters[1]!  (Old cp1251 coding system
> doesn't have such problem.)  After conversation with Dave Love, he
> showed me customize option utf-fragment-on-decoding.  Setting this
> option fixes the problem (iso8859-5 font is used instead of iso10646-1
> one).  He said that deciding whether this option should be set by
> default is up to other people (e.g. Handa), so my question is: what
> about setting this customize option by default?  And if not, how the
> issue can be resolved in Emacs 21.4?

I think the default handling of cyrillic characters must be
most convenient for native users.  But, there are many
languages that use cyrillic and their requests may conflict.
So I think we must start from adjusting each language
environment.  Once we found most language environments
require the same setting, we can make it the default.

For instance, what font Bulgarian people mostly use on X
Window for Cyrillic characters?  Is it iso8859-5 font?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden