Re: new behaviour of `split-string'

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: new behaviour of `split-string'
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:14:30 -0600 (CST)

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:

   A Gnus bug was caused by a problem with `split-string'.

   Emacs 21.2:

   (split-string ":foo:bar" ":")
   => ("foo" "bar")

   Emacs CVS:

   (split-string ":foo:bar" ":")
   => ("" "foo" "bar")

   There is no NEWS entry for this change, although it seems important
   enough to warrant one.

   Is this a bug in Emacs CVS or a feature that lack a NEWS entry?

The latter.

   I suggest adding the following to NEWS:

   *** The function `split-string' now include a null substring when
   there is a SEPARATOR at the beginning or end of STRING.

The actual behavior is somewhat more complicated.  I have added a NEWS
entry.

Sincerely,

Luc.