Re: Alignment of Lisp_Subr

From: Gaute B Strokkenes
Subject: Re: Alignment of Lisp_Subr
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 06:23:53 +0100

On 13 nov 2003, address@hidden wrote:

> There may be issues with Lisp objects with tagbits at the bottom.  I
> know XEmacs had some problems on recent glibc, which were never
> properly diagnosed.  It's probable that this was due to excessive
> cleverness in optimizing space use of malloc blocks, but if you do
> run into weirdness (we were crashing) feel free to ping me and I'll
> dig up the thread.

Are you saying that glibc malloc does not return blocks that are
sufficiently aligned?  My copy of the glibc manual says:

  The block that `malloc' gives you is guaranteed to be aligned so
  that it can hold any type of data.  In the GNU system, the address
  is always a multiple of eight on most systems, and a multiple of 16
  on 64-bit systems.

--
Gaute Strokkenes                        http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
Not enough people play SKEE-BALL..  They're always thinking about