Re: [mew-int 01596] Re: windows 1252

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [mew-int 01596] Re: windows 1252
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:49:31 +0200

> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:01:57 +0900 (JST)
> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
>
> (defvar ctext-non-standard-designations-alist
>   '(("$(0" . (big5 "big5-0" 2))
>     ("$(1" . (big5 "big5-0" 2))
>     ;; The following are actually standard; generating extended
>     ;; segments for them is wrong and screws e.g. Latin-9 users.
>     ;; 8859-{10,13,16} aren't Emacs charsets anyhow.  -- fx
> ;;     ("-V"  . (t "iso8859-10" 1))
> ;;     ("-Y"  . (t "iso8859-13" 1))
> ;;     ("-_"  . (t "iso8859-14" 1))
> ;;     ("-b"  . (t "iso8859-15" 1))
> ;;     ("-f"  . (t "iso8859-16" 1))
>
> I think Dave is correct because CTEXT spec has this
> paragraph.
>
>       Extended segments are not to be used for any character set
>       encoding that can be constructed from a GL/GR pair of
>       approved standard encodings. For example, it is incorrect to
>       use an extended segment for any of the ISO 8859 family of
>       encodings.

For the record, when I worked on this code, I added the ISO 8859
charsets mentioned above because the then official version of the
CTEXT spec did not include them in the list of approved standard
encodings.  So, as far as that CTEXT spec was concerned, these
charsets were not members of the ISO 8859 family.