Re: BIG5-HKSCS?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: BIG5-HKSCS?
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:14:11 +0100

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> In article <address@hidden>, Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
>> How would one add a new coding system?  Someone requested support for
>> BIG5-HKSCS.  The relevant references appear to be (although the second
>> file was 10MB so I haven't downloaded it):
>
> It's not easy to support BIG5-HKSCS in the current Emacs,
> and I don't have a time to work on it now, sorry.  But
> emacs-unicode version already supports it.

Good enough for me.  Do you have an opinion on whether falling back to
BIG5 when BIG5-HKSCS is not available [in Gnus, for displaying
incoming e-mail in BIG-5HKSCS], is a reasonable behaviour?

I browsed the BIG5-HKSCS specification, and it appear to add lots of
characters (~1500) but it didn't seem to alter any, and I can't tell
whether the additions are critical or just rarely used symbols.  I
doubt rendering it as BIG5 is worse than QP, though, which is the
current behaviour.