Re: [mew-int 01585] Re: windows 1252

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [mew-int 01585] Re: windows 1252
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 15:23:23 +0900

> Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 11:13:34 +0900 (JST)
> From: Kazu Yamamoto (=?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCOzNLXE9CSScbKEI=?=) <address@hidden>
> (2) Co-exist of Emacs and XEmacs.
>
>       The 'emacs-mule coding-system is not appropriate since XEmacs
>       has a different internal representation from Emacs'one. Note
>       Emacsen use different 'emacs-mule coding-system among
>       versions.
>
> The one-and-only coding-system which, I found, meets the requirements
> above is 'ctext.

    Eli> In that case, extending ctext to handle the problem we were
    Eli> discussing in this thread would not be a good idea: IIRC,
    Eli> XEmacs doesn't support extended segments, and non-MULE
    Eli> Emacsen certainly don't.  Or am I missing something?

Use of extended segments in this way is not an extension of ctext;
it's exactly what they are designed for.  True, XEmacs doesn't support
them properly yet, but that's XEmacs's problem; we should and will
support them.  But I would oppose adding special-case support (eg,
using private character sets or an alternative use of DOCS) to XEmacs.