Re: Patch to get Emacs to work on MacOS 10.3 (Panther)

From: Ted Lemon
Subject: Re: Patch to get Emacs to work on MacOS 10.3 (Panther)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 21:48:58 -0600

On Nov 3, 2003, at 4:08 AM, Nozomu Ando wrote:
Yes, always (after 1.5 of Emacs.r).

You're right - with version 1.5 of Emacs.r, Emacs does load and run successfully on Panther. Apparently not only the balloon help resource, but the other two resources preceding it, were causing a problem.

I am still curious, though, why we need the resource at all, given that there are functions for creating windows in Carbon that don't require resources, and that work correctly. It seems like it would be easier to maintain the code if these functions were used instead of GetNewCWindow, which is deprecated in the Carbon API (at least according to the Panther docs).