Re: terminal escapes in Info files?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: terminal escapes in Info files?
Date: 30 Oct 2003 08:03:31 +0200

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: 29 Oct 2003 23:39:00 +0100
>
> "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > > From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> > > Date: 29 Oct 2003 20:47:46 +0100
> > >
> > > I think the first sensible step would be to augment the HTML
> > > generating scripts in the texinfo distribution so as to include the
> > > _complete_ information available in info file format, probably as
> > > some tags usually ignored by typical HTML browsers.
> >
> > HTML browsers don't ignore anything,
>
> Not even comments?

Sorry, it seems I completely misunderstood what you were saying in the
sentence to which I responded.  I thought you were saying that HTML
browsers ignore some parts of the HTML output produced by makeinfo,
and that is why they are less efficient for reading a manual.

Thus, this paragraph:

> > I may be forgetting something, but in general I don't think there's
> > some Texinfo markup we don't put into HTML as we do into Info
> > format.
>
> So then it should be conceivable to use this HTML as a different info
> file format.

Sure, it's conceivable, it just requires a thorough rewrite of the
standalone reader.