Re: terminal escapes in Info files?

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: terminal escapes in Info files?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:24:03 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

[...]
> IMHO, to get the standalone Info to support such a format, it would
> require a major rewrite.  Currently, the display code of the
> standalone reader basically just writes the text as-is to the screen;
> what you suggest would make its job much harder.

That's a pity. However, maybe you could consider it as an option for
the info format in the future, whether or not you introduce ANSI
escape sequences for now. Actually I suggested it in a response to
Stefan just as a way to get something like HTML without writing a real
HTML renderer. Personally I wouldn't care as much about the actual
format as long as it is syntactical.

But on a second thought, I think one big benefit of something
HTML-like is that users who don't use Emacs and who don't like the tty
reader could use their favourite browser to read the info files in the
system's central info directory. IIRC desctop environments like KDE or
Gnome already use a browser for their “help desk”, for example (or has
that changed since the last time I looked?).

    Oliver
--
Oliver Scholz               8 Brumaire an 212 de la Révolution
Taunusstr. 25               Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!