Re: terminal escapes in Info files?

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: terminal escapes in Info files?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:48:32 +0100

Alper Ersoy <address@hidden> writes:

[...]
> (2) is using a specialized markup.  The benefit is of course Info
> files will take advantage of the medium they are presented in to its
> maximum, provided that the browser is aware of this markup.

Most notably the markup could be syntactical rather than specifying
the colours to use. I *hate* it, if a document tells me the best
colour for me to read a certain syntactic element. Let the document
specify the syntactical element and let me customize the colour.

However, I would be nice at least, if the info format and the Emacs
info reader would distinguish `example' and `code' and the like from
the rest of the text. So that I can use a fixed width font for those
parts and a proportional font for the rest.

Another old wish of mine is that the info format could specify the
type of code, for example (I am using an XML-like notation here,
because I am not familiar with the info file format):

<code type="lisp">
   (defun bar (a &optional b &rest c)
     (list a b c))
</code>

Then the info reader in Emacs could even fontify the code.
[There's probably a better choice than XML-like markup, but you get
the idea. I guess it should be done in a way that a tty reader may
simply strip the markup.]

    Oliver
--
Oliver Scholz               7 Brumaire an 212 de la Révolution
Taunusstr. 25               Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!