Re: `special' keys in keyboard macros

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: `special' keys in keyboard macros
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:36:35 +0000 (UTC)

Roland Winkler <address@hidden> wrote

    I think it would be neat to have some better support for
    converting "dirty", quickly hacked keyboard macros into "clean"
    elisp commands.

A decade or more ago, David Gillespie included a function that
converted key strokes to Emacs Lisp in his Emacs Calc mode.  Instead
of running `kmacro-start-macro/ kmacro-start-macro' and end up with a
keyboard macro, you would run this function the same way (possibly
bound to the same keys) and end up with an Emacs Lisp defun.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the feature any more.  It is not in any
recent version of Calc, nor any other place I have looked.  Nor can I
remember what it is called, except that I think it had `edit' in its
name.

Someone with more access to old Emacs Lisp libraries might find it.
Or maybe it is hidden in the current Emacs Calc code and I just have
not seen it.

As with the RMIME libraries I mentioned earlier, this code is not
likely to come with proper papers (although it was, if I remember
rightly, part of Calc mode -- so maybe it does have papers).  In any
case, the defuns produced were not the best; and would need
enhancement to emulate the current `kmacro-start-macro/
kmacro-start-macro' tools.

But you should be able to look at the code and run the function as it
is, and see what it does -- it could be a help.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden