Re: Undocumented hyperlinks in doc strings.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Undocumented hyperlinks in doc strings.
Date: 14 Oct 2003 17:03:45 -0400

> Three or more semicolons are the convention for comments that should
> start at the margin, and that is our standard way of commenting out
> code.

I know it is the convention.  I'm not sure what you mean by
"our standard", tho.

> Like anything, it could be changed, but that is a rather
> heavy change to make

I see no evidence that it is heavy.  Lots of Emacs code
already uses a different convention and this has not been
a problem (which I also take as evidence that it's a convention
superior to the offical one).

> and I would hesitate to do it on account of
> outline-minor-mode.

It's not just a problem for outline-minor-mode.  It's a fundamental problem
that the convention leads to ambiguities that only a human being
can resolve.  Luckily this convention is not often used in code, and is
rarely used by packages (can't think of any other than outline-minor-mode
and lisp-mnt).

        Stefan