Re: Changing the no-toolkit scrollbar thumb color. (minor issue)

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Changing the no-toolkit scrollbar thumb color. (minor issue)
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 20:35:20 -0400 (EDT)

Yesterday's CVS snapshot, Sat, 2003 Oct  3 23:58 UTC
GNU Emacs 21.3.50.102 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.2.1)
started with

     /usr/local/bin/emacs -q --no-site-file --eval '(blink-cursor-mode 0)'

configured with  --with-x-toolkit=gtk

Success!

I can now specify the forground (thumb) and background (trough) colors
for my vertical scroll bar in my ~/.emacs.d/gtkrc file, which looks
like this:

style "scrollbar"
{
  fg[NORMAL] = "red"             # The arrow color.
  bg[NORMAL] = "yellow"          # The thumb and background around the arrow.
  bg[ACTIVE] = "cornflower blue" # The trough color.
  bg[PRELIGHT] = "white"         # The thumb color when the mouse is over it.
}

widget "*verticalScrollBar*" style "scrollbar"

This configuration does not specify the color for the thumb when the
mouse is not over it, but the color (actually, it is a pattern) that
comes with the theme is OK.  What is the specification for it?
Likewise, how do you specify a pattern for the trough?  (It was some
sort of textured vertical gradient.  I would like to create a textured
pattern of the right color for the trough.)

The Emacs customization feature,

   M-x customize-face RET scroll-bar

has no effect in an Emacs configured with --with-x-toolkit=gtk, but at
least the modification of ~/.emacs.d/gtkrc is successful.

Who made the change?  Was it in GNU Emacs or in GTK?  (I updated both
my GNU Emacs and my Debian testing distribution at the same time, so
I cannot track the change readily.)  In any case, many thanks!

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden