Re: Changing the no-toolkit scrollbar thumb color. (minor issue)

From: Danilo Segan
Subject: Re: Changing the no-toolkit scrollbar thumb color. (minor issue)
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 02:35:05 +0200

Robert J. Chassell wrote:
I agree with you.  But I don't know what to do.  Incidentally, the
scroll bars in Emacs configured with --with-x-toolkit=gtk look
different than the scroll bars on my xterms and on my instances of
Galeon.  It turns out the feature is not common throughout Gnome, at
least not in my instance of Gnome.

Mine Gnome (2.4.0) and Emacs 21.3.50.5 (a bit old, was it late June or July, I don't recall) doesn't have this problem.

xterm does show a different scrollbar, because it's not using the same toolkit (Gtk+), but Galeon 1.3.7, Emacs, and all the other apps show scroll bars as set in my theme.

The blue was *not* the trough color. It appeared on the right side of the thumb as a narrow line.

For me, blue appeared as background of the arrow buttons when I pressed and held arrow buttons.

The white did appear in the grey75 (or so, I estimate) top of the
thumb when I put the mouse over it, but I want to see the white thumb
against a dark background when I do not put the cursor over it.

This seems to be a theme issue to me. I'll try to find out later if there's a Gtk+ theme which has a greater contrast between the thumb and the entire bar (you may also try looking at art.gnome.org in Gtk+ section, if you find some spare time)

The yellow fails to color the thumb; it only colors the left and top
sides of the thumb when the cursor is not over it.

Perhaps I'd need to check with a more recent Emacs CVS version, since for me, the entire bar and thumb (ok, I'm not really sure what is "thumb" in this context, but I hope I got it right ;-) are yellow.

The top of the thumb and the bottom of the trough are the default grey colors when the cursor is not over the thumb.

As I said, I don't know what to do.  Perhaps your set up is showing
different colors.  If so, the Emacs documentation should explain what
to do when you use normal Gnome customizations.

For a start, I'm certain that there're no such problems in 21.3.50.5 from 2003-06-30. I've updated Emacs from CVS, and I might try it again with it. If it turns out to work like you describe, the bug must have been introduced somewhere in between.

As a sidenote, I expect most of the people using Gtk+ toolkit to use the default desktop theme, because that's what they chose for other apps too.

Cheers,
Danilo