Re: Changing the no-toolkit scrollbar thumb color. (minor issue)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Changing the no-toolkit scrollbar thumb color. (minor issue)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:25:09 -0400

       This would be documenting the bug.  That would be an improovement, but
       what we really should do if at all feasible is fix the bug.  This face
       should have its special effect for all toolkits.

    The _same_ special effect?

Yes, to the extent it makes sense.

    Native scrollbar:

    Has a thumb and a trough.  Thumb is blue, trough is red.  Wonderful.

    Xaw3d scrollbar:  The default scroll bar.

    Has a thumb and a trough.  Both are red.  :foreground does not seem to
    have any effect on anything.

    Is this a bug or is it quite simply not possible to give both
    different colors?

That's a bug.

    Motif:

    Has a thumb, a trough and two arrows.  Thumb and arrows are red.  Color
    of trough is still the same old grey. :foreground does not seem to
    have any effect on anything.

That's a bug.

    Only one of the four I did not try out myself, but Bob tried it and
    found that it had no effect whatsoever.  things do not seem easy,
    however.

That's a bug.

    {
      fg[NORMAL] = "red"     # The arrow color.
      bg[NORMAL] = "yellow"  # The thumb and background around the arrow.
      bg[ACTIVE] = "blue"    # The trough color.
      bg[PRELIGHT] = "white" # The thumb color when the mouse is over it.
    }

    Those are four colors to customize.  If we want full customizability
    through Custom, we would have to allow the user to specify four
    colors.

Maybe we want two or three faces to specify all these colors.