Re: Changing the no-toolkit scrollbar thumb color. (minor issue)

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Changing the no-toolkit scrollbar thumb color. (minor issue)
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:37:33 -0500 (CDT)

Robert Chassell wrote:

   I would like to change the colors both of the foreground (the
   `thumb') and the background (the `trough') of the scroll bars.

Your question concerned GTK.  Jan answered it.  We know that we can do
it easily for the native scroll bar.  But most people will wind up
using the default scroll bar, not necessarily because they prefer that
one, but because it is the default.  That default is now the Xaw3d
scroll bar.  What about that one?

Apparently, it completely ignores the :foreground attribute, only
:background matters.  It applies to both thumb and trough.  I do not
know whether this should be considered a bug, after all it is a "3d"
scroll bar.  However, some people may have trouble seeing the thumb if
it has the same color as the trough.  (I myself do not have that much
trouble distinguishing the thumb, for the default "grey75" color.  I
find the native scroll bar somewhat more comfortable to the eye in
this respect, however.)

I do not know what happens with LessTif/Motif.

Sincerely,

Luc.