Re: Info menus on text-mode terminals

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Info menus on text-mode terminals
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 11:34:15 -0400

    Did someone look lately at how we display Info menus on text-mode
    terminals?  For example, type "C-h i d m elisp RET".

    I think this is ugly, especially the way the long descriptions are
    wrapped.  Here's one example, indented by my by 4 characters (I also
    capitalized the menu entry name, since in Emacs it stands out in
    color):

We were discussing this a month or so ago, trying to figure out how to
avoid a bunch of different problems.  I think that one very general
refilling mechanism is applied to the entire Info file, and that it
uses heuristics to find the paragraph breaks that should be
maintained.

I think it does not handle menu items specially, but that might not be
hard to do.  You can notice the * Menu: that starts a menu, and then
do special handling on each paragraph that starts a menu item.  Once
you detect that the paragraph is a menu item, I think it won't be very
hard to implement a better behavior in that case.