Re: address@hidden: changing line heights]

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: address@hidden: changing line heights]
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 07:56:30 +0200 (CEST)

> It looks like the problem is that the appearances for 0x27 and 0x60
> don't look right for open and close quote, but the others that look
> right for open/close quote are at the same time too similar to each
> other.  Is that correct?

Not really.  It depends on the used fonts.  `Classical' fonts like the
ETL bitmap fonts which provide only glyphs for ISO 8859 characters
normally don't have U+2018/U+2019 at all -- the exception is
greek-iso8859-7, but this is broken currently (see my other mail).
For such fonts, the ` and ' characters are almost exclusively used for
left and right quotes -- there is hardly a need to have a stand-alone
version of the grave accent.  [I know this is hard to avoid on
e.g. German keyboards which use dead-keys to create accented
characters.]

In case someone wants to use U+2018 and U+2019 instead of 0x27 and
0x60, there must be a possibility to select the font.  In my case, I
would select the ETL iso-8859-7 fonts for *some* modes, not for all.

> If we need to offer multiple options, this is a good way to make
> them default more correctly.  At the same time, it might be a
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[Can't resist: Either something is correct, or it isn't -- what does
 `more correctly' then mean? :-)]

> substantial amount of work just to enter and maintain data about
> lots of fonts.

I think this is unavoidable.  IMHO you shouldn't combine glyphs from
different fonts without asking the user.  Perhaps some standard fonts
can be covered in a table, but in general this won't work.

A suggestion: If the user types `C-u C-x =' while being on a left or
right quote, a string like

  This glyph is probably taken from another font and thus looks ugly!
  Please use `M-x configure-quotation-glyphs' to set up replacement
  glyphs for the left and right quotation characters.

could appear in the pop-up window.

    Werner