Re: Cannot Generate loaddefs.el on Solaris

From: Vin Shelton
Subject: Re: Cannot Generate loaddefs.el on Solaris
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:14:16 -0400

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 11:02:06AM -0400, Vin Shelton wrote:
>> /bin/sh on Solaris has stricter syntax wrt the 'test' command than
>> bash does.  The !  (negation) operator cannot appear before the 'test'
>> command.
>> -      if ! test -r $(lisp)/loaddefs.el; then                \
>> +      if test ! -r $(lisp)/loaddefs.el; then                \
>
> Note that the ! in the former case is actually a (posix) shell construct, not
> a test operator.
>
> I'm not entirely comfortable with the ! test operator either, but a bit of
> googling suggests that it's OK even on ancient systems, as long as the
> following expression is not `weird.'
>
> (I always test my scripts for portability on sunos because sun seems to have
> last updated some of their utilities in about 1985!)

Miles,

Thanks for the reply.  I may have given you the wrong impression -
namely that I was writing hypothetically.  The actual situation is
that the version in CVS does not work on the Solaris systems at work:
loaddefs.el does not get created, and therefore emacs dumping does not
work.  (IIRC, the message is something like: "!: command not found".)
When I apply the patch, loaddefs.el _does_ get created and I can
successfully dump emacs.  (BTW, I think the build started failing for
me on or about September 12.)

The systems in question are pretty much stock Solaris 5.8 and 5.5.1
systems.

I'm pretty sure that /bin/sh on these Sparc Solaris systems is not
POSIX-compliant.

  - Vin