Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:51:17 +1000

>                                Summary
>
> Under copyright law, you are free to run this copy of GNU Emacs.  The
> following General Public License states and protects additional rights
> that you possess.  You need not accept or decline the License; you
> simply exercise those rights, as defined in the License, at your
> option.  Please read it to learn precisely what they are.

As a suggestion, the first couple of paragraphs of the emacs manual
("Distrib"), and variations in other gnu manuals, seem a nice little
introduction to the terms.

>   This license is extended from the Free Software Foundation, and any
> authors of modifications, to you.  Since all are free to modify and
> redistribute this software, no one can accept liability for any
> defects or problems

That's not quite the reason stated in the gpl for no warranty is it?

(Though I don't pretend to know if it matters what reason, if any, is
stated.)