Re: severe problems with composite characters

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: severe problems with composite characters
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:24:46 +0100

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> In article <address@hidden>, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> Suppose that composite characters are stored to a file with a
>> multi-lingual coding-system. An example is TIS-620 characters with
>> UTF-8 (or ctext).
>
>> When Emacs reads the file, the composite characters are not composed
>> since there is no post-conv function associated to the multi-lingual
>> coding-system.

ctext works for me, the same as iso-2022-7bit (which C-h h uses).
Those coding systems store composition information as escape
sequences, so post-conversion isn't relevant for them (unlike utf-8).

Is the width being wrong a severe problem somehow, or is the severity
mentioned in the subject just the lack of composition?  (I ask partly
because character width is currently somewhat ambiguous in Emacs 22,
e.g. for non-CJK characters from CJK coding systems.)

> But, I've just found a bug in this facility, and installed a
> fix.

What bug?  I can't see a log message.