Re: Marking with the mouse

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Marking with the mouse
Date: 11 Sep 2003 10:30:54 +0900

Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm the original complainer Stefan mentioned, and here's my complaint:
>
> (1) and (2) as above.  Type `C-h'.  Highlighting disappears.  Any keyboard
> input -- even a prefix key! -- removes the highlighting.  Why?
>
> If you set track-mouse (like my follow-mode.el package does), even unbound
> mouse-movement events now have the same effect.

I also think it's a problem that the various special features that use
transient-mark-mode -- such as query-replace only with in the region --
are not normally available via mouse-highlighting.

I suspect many people that hate transient-mark-mode because of its
interaction with `set-mark-command' would like using those features
(especially the region-specific replace, it's extremely handy).

In general it's confusing that there are two different sorts of
highlighting in emacs that look very similar but also differ in major
ways.  Stefan's suggested change would lessen this difference in a way
that I believe wouldn't be overly burdensome to non-t-m-m people.

Yeah, Alex specifically said he doesn't like it, but it's only one line
of code to add a variable to allow disabling the linkage (but the
default should be to enable it).

-Miles
--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.