Re: "nmake info" Windows patch (was: Your Emacs changes)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "nmake info" Windows patch (was: Your Emacs changes)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:20:21 +0200

> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:25:16 +0200
> From: "Peter 'Luna' Runestig" <address@hidden>
>
> All this Windows-incompatible stuff in the new makefiles I created, is
> related to building DVI files, not INFO files.  So, how should I do this:
> rip out all non-INFO related stuff, or also make DVI building work (if I
> can find a Windows port of texi2dvi...)?

Are you saying that you don't really care about the parts that produce
Info files, only about the DVI stuff?  I'd say that Windows users
should be able to produce the on-line Info manuals as well, but if you
cannot work on that, I guess they won't be able to do that.

In any case, IMHO, fix those parts of the Makefile's that you can, and
leave the rest unmodified, don't remove them.  Someone else will then
hopefully pick up where you left off.  A comment in the Makefile's to
the effect that only some of the targets work reliably would be a good
idea.

> >> On a side note, NTFS does support hard links (AFAIK there's no native
> >> tool for it though, but Cygwin's "ln" works).
> >
> > I knew that, but since native Windows programs don't support links,
> > their presence in NTFS is currently useless unless one works in a
> > Cygwin environment.
>
> As long as you have a "ln" tool, which doesn't need to come from Cygwin,
> they are still quite useful.

What other packages besides Cygwin offer a port of `ln'?