Re: cc-langs.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: cc-langs.el
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 00:01:05 -0400

    > This code in cc-langs.el uses CL functions at run time.

    Only if it isn't byte compiled, which isn't recommended. cc-langs is
    not even loaded when everything is byte compiled.

I did not realize that.  So I guess the code does work.

    I still don't understand this aversion to the CL functions. I find it
    absurd that there is an old and well established set of basic tools
    that can't be used in many situations.

These functions are not a part of the Emacs Lisp namespace.
(And I don't want to add them and make the Lisp manual much bigger.)

    Anyone who would define a mapcan with any other
    function than the one in CL would be both very silly and break the
    namespace rules.

Any user can define a function called mapcan with any meaning at all.
If he put it in a Lisp package for publication, that name would be a
mistake, because he ought to put on a suitable prefix to avoid
conflicts.  But if he is just writing code for himself, that doesn't
apply.