Re: help-echo in Custom

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: help-echo in Custom
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:14:42 -0500 (CDT)

Since at least one of the things I described seems to be a bug, here
is a test case anyway.

Load:

===File ~/helpfun.el========================================
(defvar silly-string "Silly string")

(defun silly-help (win obj pos)
  "Used as help-echo for debugging purposes."
  (format "%s %s %s" win obj pos))

(defun silly-custom-help (widget)
  (substring (format "%s" widget) 0 70))

(defcustom silly-string-var 7
  "*This is a silly variable"
  :type '(integer :help-echo silly-string)
  :group 'convenience)

(defcustom silly-help-var 7
  "*This is an silly variable"
  :type '(integer :help-echo silly-help)
  :group 'convenience)

(defcustom silly-custom-help-var 7
  "*This is a silly variable"
  :type '(integer :help-echo silly-custom-help)
  :group 'convenience)

Do "M-x customize-group convenience" and start <tab>-ing around.

`silly-string-var' will not display "Silly string" after <tab>,
although it will on mouse-over.  This seems to be definitely a bug and
is trivial to fix by adding two eval's, as I pointed out in my