Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: merge emacs-bidi into the main tree

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: merge emacs-bidi into the main tree
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:48:58 +0200

> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:18:12 +0900 (JST)
> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
>
> Then, it seems that what you've done is not that different
> from the current emacs-bidi.  In most cases, we anyway move
> the iterator all over "abcdABCDefg".  Your code caches only
> some crucial information, so get_next_display_element will
> need some work at C B A e f g.  My code caches all
> information given by get_next_display_element, so
> get_next_display_element will work fast at C B A e f g.

Right.  IIRC, Gerd did not like the caching of glyph matrix elements.
I think he felt that producing the information stored in the glyph is
expensive, and so doing that unnecessarily would hamper performance.
The information my code caches is only relevant to the bidi properties
of the characters, which need to be computed anyway to decide what is
the next character in the visual order.