Re: Suggestion: Make snapshots of Emacs available

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Make snapshots of Emacs available
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 21:51:08 +0100

 >     I realise that RedHat may have more bandwidth resources that the FSF
 >     and that its probably most efficient to use CVS directly. However, one
 >     advantage of doing this would be that a copy of what's in the CVS
 >     repository becomes available to Emacs users who are behind company
 >     firewalls.
 >
 > If someone wants to do it, I don't mind.  I don't have any time
 > to spend thinking about it.

I presume that its an automated process (a cron job?) on sources.redhat.com.
Can the savannah hackers set up something like this? I'm guessing that
savannah.gnu.org, ftp.gnu.org and alpha.gnu.org sit next to each other
somewhere in Boston and might even share the same disk space. However, if
no-one wants to to do it, then I will, as a last resort. I guess I would need
a shell account, and it would have to wait till I have a broadband connection.

 >        I therefore suggest that a daily, weekly or monthly snapshot of
 >        Emacs be put on ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs
 >
 >     alpha.gnu.org is a better place since these are not stable releases.
 >
 > That's correct.

alpha.gnu.org might be the correct place (Just as info-gnu-emacs, which no-one
reads, is the correct place to announce new releases.) but I'm not sure its
the best place.  Few people know about. Neither the Emacs homepage or the
project page on Savannah mention it. I imagine far more people download from
ftp.gnu.org or one of its mirrors.

Nick