Bug in Ange-FTP with renaming files

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Bug in Ange-FTP with renaming files
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:30:04 +0200

Marco has reported a Tramp bug, and I've now found out that this is
really an Ange-FTP bug: it happens even when Tramp is disabled.  Here
is Marco's description how to make it happen:

mkdir /tmp/foo-kai
echo blabla > /tmp/kais-file
emacs -q -no-site-file -nw
C-x d /ftp:address@hidden:/tmp
[I insert the password]
I move the point on kais-file.
R /ftp:address@hidden:/tmp/foo-kai
I move the point on foo-kai.
RET
The point is on kais-file.
R /ftp:address@hidden:/tmp

Ok, there is the error.
Move `/ftp:address@hidden:/tmp/foo-kai/kais-file' to
`/ftp:address@hidden:/tmp/kais-file' failed:
(ftp-error FTP Error: DIR failed: 550 /tmp/kais-file: Not a directory.)

It is important to move a file from a directory to its subdirectory,
and then back again.  Otherwise the bug does not happen.

It is really strange.  Actually, the *ftp* buffer shows that the
rename command has completed successfully; the bug happens after
this.  I'm guessing it's the dired update that causes the problem,
but I don't know how it comes about.

I shall try to investigate further, but I thought it would be good to
let you know -- more eyes find more bugs...
--
~/.signature