Re: substitute-in-file-name and "$"

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: substitute-in-file-name and "$"
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 14:20:35 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> In as far as (2) is concerned, the documentation string of
> `my-favorite-file-function' should clearly point out what operations
> it is going to perform on filename.

IMHO this is dangerous.  Now you are saying that docstrings should
specify "I invoke substitute-in-file-name" or "I do not invoke
substitute-in-file-name".  Tomorrow, docstrings should say "I
invoke/do not invoke mumblefoo".

Clearly, down that path lies madness.

I think that some policy is called for.  Alas, I don't have the
foggiest what that policy ought to look like.

Another alternative is to change things such that
substitute-in-file-name is idempotent.
--
~/.signature