Re: etc/TODO:Horizontal scrollbar

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: etc/TODO:Horizontal scrollbar
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 18:25:29 -0400

    1. I will try to work only on W2K port (maybe using [Windows]32
    API support if needed)

I don't like the idea of installing any feature in a GNU package that
works only on Windows.  That is a very dangerous path to go down.
It's part of the GNU project standards that every GNU package should
run best on the GNU system.

Can you implement X support also at the same time?

Alternatively, when you get it running on Windows, someone else who
would like to make it work on GNU/Linux could get the code from you.

    5. I guess using the MODELINE is ruled out as all MOUSE buttons are
    bound. We could have an area on the modeline where we bind it to
    scrolling though.

We could do that, but it has little to do with horizontal scroll
bars, so don't worry about it.

    It looks like the minibuffer
    is sandwiched between the modeline and the horizontal scroll-bar.

That is a strange place to put the horizontal scroll-bar.  Did you
make just one per frame?  There should be a horizontal scroll-bar in each
window, just as there is a vertical scroll-bar in each window.
It ought to be above the window's mode line.