Re: etc/TODO:Horizontal scrollbar

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: etc/TODO:Horizontal scrollbar
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:27:53 -0400 (EDT)

   .... It looks like the minibuffer is sandwiched between the
   modeline and the horizontal scroll-bar.

This is only if you use one window at a time, rather than two or more.
As is, the statement does not make sense.  Are you trying to say that

   .... It looks like the minibuffer is below the horizontal
   scroll-bar and modeline.

?

Moreover, a mode line separates two windows.  It indicates the bottom
of the window above it.  The minibuffer is not relevant.

Putting the horizontal scroll-bar below a mode line means putting it
in the `other buffer', the one that is displayed in the window below
the mode line.  The horizontal scroll-bar should go above the
mode-line, either next to it or at the other end (the `top' end) of
the window.

In any event, just as you can set the value of vertical-scroll-bar to
left, right, nil, or t, so you should be able to set the value of
horizontal-scroll-bar to top, bottom, nil, or t.  (Presumably, you
will also need a variable for the `bottom' case in a windowing
display, to specify whether the scroll bar is separate from the mode
line, or is part of the mode line, perhaps shown as I suggested.)

   ... Just imagine when you type a long line in the modeline, the
   horizontal scroll-bar's THUMB is moving/scrolling. It is quite
   distracting.

I do not understand you.  When I type many vertical lines, I don't
find it distracting for the vertical scroll-bar's slider or thumb to
move; indeed, I hardly notice it, but when I want to see it, it is
there and I want it to move or have moved.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden