Re: narrow-to-here-document

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: narrow-to-here-document
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:13:51 +0200

Alan Shutko <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> And indentation and stuff will look beyond the beginning of the
>> language area.
>
> This is a problem.  For most modes it doesn't matter, but for CC mode
> it can cause weirdness.  That's an ongoing problem, but narrowing
> doesn't help, since CC mode widens before it parses the buffer.

I've been wondering if a workable alternative would be to make the
point motion functions look at a variable.  If the variable is set,
they ignore text with a certain property.

Suppose that we set the (hypothetical) text property `language' to
`c' on all the C bits, and then we let-bind the variable to the value
`c'.  Then all point motion commands would skip all text where the
text property language is not set to c.  So backward-char, for
example, would skip all that text.

This *might* cause the C mode syntax parsing functions to do the
right thing out of the box, since they can't look at the non-C parts
anymore.  But I don't know if it really works, it's just an idea.
--
~/.signature