Re: GNU Emacs 21.3.50 : Problem in (point-min)

From: Markus Rost
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs 21.3.50 : Problem in (point-min)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:01:15 -0400 (EDT)

   In think it is just a display issue.  Characters are just integers in
   ELisp.  So for integers below 256, C-x C-e (eval-last-sexp) shows you
   the character value, in case that is what you really wanted to know.
   Try C-x C-e on the expression ?a (place the cursor on the trailing
   space), to see what I mean.

It happens for me also for other numbers.  I find it somewhat
irritating to see in the minibuffer once in a while various characters
from various international character sets.  It doesn't hurt much, but
it doesn't look clean.  Buffer position 97 has nothing to do with
character "a", so why showing "?a" in the minibuffer?  Here are some
examples with the corresponding messages in the minibuffer.

(goto-char 27643)
27643 = ?悍

(goto-char 27647)
27647 = ?悄

(goto-char 27649)
27649

By the way, when saving this mail, I was offered the following coding
system, apparently because of ?悍.

Coding system for saving this buffer:
  S -- shift_jis-unix (alias of japanese-shift-jis-unix)