Re: Info-scroll-prefer-subnodes default in Emacs.

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Info-scroll-prefer-subnodes default in Emacs.
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:26:15 -0400

    In Emacs Info, `]' and `[' behave as
    usual in Indices.  In the stand-alone version, they do not.

That's a bug in standalone info, I'll see if anyone wants to work on it.

    How do we determine reliably whether or not a node is an Index?

    I do not believe that the method used by Emacs `[' and `]':
    if and only if the node name contains the word "index" is reliable
    enough by any means.

I agree, but I don't see any way to do any better at present.

The only real solution I can think of is to have makeinfo insert an
invisible cookie saying `this is an index' into the info file.  That
wouldn't be hard.

Thanks,