Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 18:51:25 +0300

> Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 14:00:01 +0000 (UTC)
> From: "Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden>
>
> The problem is, what is meant by `look and feel modern'?

Whatever HTML browsers do: display the links in a special typeface
that makes it clear they are links, pop up a menu when you press
mouse-2 or mouse-3 that allow you to display the referenced node in a
separate frame, keep a list of recently visited nodes in a menu, etc.

> To me HTML
> looks more than two decades old, even though I know it is not.  This
> is because output expressions do not distinguish between references to
> the same document on a different page and distant documents

I don't get this: to me, the URL displayed at the bottom of the HTML
display (an area roughly equivalent to Emacs's echo area), celarly
states whether the refenced document belongs to the same document or
not.

> because I cannot go to next, previous, and subsequent nodes readily,

HTML doesn't have inherent support for tree-like structure, it only
supports graphs.  But that doesn't mean that Info's support of the
tree structure interferes in any way with the other features.

>     I don't see how hiding node names could be a step in the wrong
>     direction.
>
> Because node names tell you where a file is located.  Sometimes a file
> on on someone else's local area network, and your connection to it is
> slow or non-existant.

I did say that a node name should be accssible, but that doesn't mean
it needs to be visible at all times, or for every user.