Re: Idea for compilation mode

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Idea for compilation mode
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 14:41:47 +0200

On Fri,  6 Jun 2003 14:01:52 +0200
Stephan Stahl <address@hidden> wrote:

> Taking non-American keyboard layouts into mind seems like a very complicated
> thing.

OTOH...

> I myself use a us-international layout because most others layouts i
> have tried are horrible to use with applications like emacs or maybe vi.

...some of us use non-american keyboard layouts and Emacs. I've used it
with a Brazilian Portuguese layout and I'm now working with a Spanish
one.

> For example the german keyboard has not two alt keys but one alt and one
> altGr
> keys.

Here's the same.

> To produce ] one would have to type altGr-9.

I do AltGr +. And I don't find it particularly cumbersome (yes, I
program in C, C++, Perl and other languages where [] are heavily used).

> It is not possible to type
> C-] (aka ESC) on a german keyboard because it would require both ctrl and
> altGr
> to be pressed.

To do C-] I have to type AltGr Right-Ctrl +, in that precise order. And
left ctrl won't do :)

I've also remapped C-Ñ to insert ~ (although I can get it too with AltGr
4), and AltGr e to insert €.

> Besides it would be very hard to hit all three keys at once.

Do you do C-] very often?

                                                                Juanma