Re: How about using static link instead of dynamic loaded dlls?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: How about using static link instead of dynamic loaded dlls?
Date: 05 Jun 2003 07:53:49 +0100

Robin Hu <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi everyone:
>
>    Current CVS NtEmacs snapshot loads libjpeg.dll in runtime. This
>    causes a problem while I have some different versions of libjpeg.dll
>    in %PATH%

If you explain what problems you are having, we may be able to fix
them.  Linking the image libraries statically might work well for
people like yourself who compile Emacs yourself, but in the Windows
world you are the minority I am afraid, so linking dynamically is
more flexible for binary distribution.

It should be fairly straightforward to produce a patch that allows
either static or dynamic linking as a configure option, but I do not
have time to do this myself.

>    This should be helpful to avoid dll hell, and may also helpful to
>    workaround VC's bug in compiling w32fns.c(this bug will not
>    re-produced while compiling w32fns.c with intel c compiler, so I
>    believe this is a bug of VC itself).

Please explain. It is very rare to find a bug in a compiler these
days. More often it is a particular optimization that a compiler does
that show up a subtle bug in the code.