Re: INSTALL-CVS

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: INSTALL-CVS
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 13:54:18 -0700

>> I think I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure why
>> anyone would *rerun* configure in a "built" environment and not do
>> something like 'make clean' first.

> I never understand why anyone would do `make clean' (probably
> because I can never remember which of `clean', `extraclean',
> `distclean', `fooclean', `hyperclean', or `megaclean' does what I
> want).

> ./configure is rerun for me whenever `configure' changes.

Hmmm.  But, since most (all?) 'make' commands only do time-stamp
checking to determine if a target should be rebuilt, if the rerun of
configure causes the Makefile(s) to be regen'ed with new or changed
commands in a target, that target may not be rebuilt because you
didn't "clean" your environment first.  True?

When you're familiar with the environment (as you are with Emacs), you
can get away without cleaning your environment first.  However, the
safe approach is to only 'configure' in a clean environment.

CPU cycles are relatively cheap nowadays...  ;-)

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.