Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 18:24:19 +0300

> From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 11:01:29 -0400
>
> I don't understand what's the problem.  How many users currently
> actively use node names ?  From what I can tell, these seem to be mostly
> used internally, much like URLs in HTML.

I'm not sure that's true.  The `g' command, for example, accepts node
names (with completion) and is an effective way of going if you know
where, or remember the initial word(s) of the node name.

Please don't take the above as meaning that I suggest to restore the
node names' display.  But let's not exaggerate the situation even if
we need that to make a point.

> After all there are other Info readers, besides `info'
> and `emacs' and they don't necessarily look alike.

The other readers aren't GNU software, so we don't have to describe
them in the Texinfo manual.