Re: Problems with info (emacs version)

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Problems with info (emacs version)
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 08:35:51 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
>> I'd say this is a bug in the mail sending part of Emacs.  Message asks
>> the user if she knows about the hidden parts.
>
> That's a solution, but not a very good one in my experience.
> I think final message sending is the wrong time to do this -- whenever I
> get that message I'm a bit surprised and unsure what to do, as it's not
> always clear _where_ the invisible text was, and having to go back and
> re-edit a message that I thought was ready to send is very annoying.

I agree!  A similar topic was just discussed on the ding mailing list.
A better solution may be to somehow visually highlight the hidden
text.  That may sound like a contradiction, but of course, it should
only happen that way in the mail buffer, so makes some sense.

> What's wrong with just adding `invisible' to the default list of
> properties stripped by yanking?

Could work.  But if, say, message uses the invisible property
internally to keep some hidden data around in the buffer, cut'n'paste
within the message buffer can generate unexpected result.