Re: INSTALL-CVS

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: INSTALL-CVS
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 00:06:26 -0400

     > ??? Are you saying that on your machine, if you type "make" in the
     > top-level directory, it doesn't recurse into the `man' subdirectory
     > automatically?

    Yes, I think thats right.

I believe this was deliberate.  I think the reason was that we don't
want `make' to recurse into `man' and generate a DVI file, and we
normally distribute Emacs with the Info files already updated, so
there is no need for it to update them.

However, I guess it would be harmless now to change it so that
top-level `make all' updates the Info files but does not generate the
DVI files.