Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:29:42 -0600

Kai Großjohann wrote:

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

I do not argue that we should implement MS Windows-like keybindings. I just
argue that it should be easyer to change key bindings.

What exactly are you suggesting to make it easier ?

Remapping the whole keyboard doesn't make sense, but some interface
that reads a key sequence and a function name, and perhaps a map
name, and then does the right thing would be good.

(defun read-keymap (prompt &optional default-map)
 "Read the name of a keymap and return as a symbol.
Prompts with PROMPT.  By default, return DEFAULT-MAP."
 (intern (completing-read prompt obarray
                           'keymapp t nil nil default-map)))

(defadvice define-key (before interactive activate)
 "Read KEY and DEF interactively, plus KEYMAP if a prefix arg is specified
\(otherwise default to `global-map'\)."
 (interactive (list (if current-prefix-arg
                         (read-keymap "Keymap: " 'global-map)
                       global-map)
                     (read-key-sequence "Key: " nil t)
                     (read-command "Command: " 'ignore))))