Re: Idea for determining what users use

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Idea for determining what users use
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 00:32:50 +0900

>>>>> "Thien-Thi" == Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

    Thien-Thi> knowing how ego-driven programmers are, i fear this
    Thien-Thi> would lead to lots of spam as every little
    Thien-Thi> (sub-)feature is instrumented so.

XEmacs bug reports all include (1) the Installation file (which gives
options to configure and autodetected); (2) the list of autoloaded
packages; and (3) the value of `features', as well as the traditional
output from view-lossage.

We've had no complaints on the basis of privacy or bandwidth.  People
might be a little more worried if we included the features used as
well as those available, but I suspect not.  So you could add
feature-reporter output to bug reports, although this is a little
unclean.

Alternatively, the feature reporter would be an ideal candidate for a
separate alias which fed into a statistics 'bot.