Re: Idea for determining what users use

From: Vincent LADEUIL
Subject: Re: Idea for determining what users use
Date: 27 May 2003 16:16:58 +0200

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

    rms> We have no good way to determine if anyone still uses a
    rms> feature.  Maybe we can create one.

    rms> Imagine a function called note-feature-used.  You call
    rms> it like this: (note-feature-used 'foo "Foo").

    rms> The  first   time  you  call   it,  it  sends   mail  to
    rms> address@hidden with subject Foo, asking you
    rms> for permission to  send it, and it records  (setq foo t)
    rms> in your .emacs file.

What about people  who use emacs for other things  than mail ? Or
those  more  generally  who  cannot  send mail  from  emacs  (for
whatever reason).

    rms> If you call it again, it does nothing.

What  about  collecting all  these  infos  and  prepare a  buffer
containing the mail  to be sent (that could  be an alternate mean
to report usages).

    rms> We  could  put  these   calls  into  various  files  and
    rms> functions in order to  find out (after the next release)
    rms> whether anyone uses them.

Isn't it possible to only  instrument 'eval' to get all functions
(or interesting ones) used ?

        Vincent