Re: kill-whole-line

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: kill-whole-line
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 19:54:59 -0500 (CDT)

Markus Rost wrote:

   If point is on the last line of the buffer and you hit <S-backspace>
   (which runs the command kill-whole-line), you get an error: End of buffer

   Evaluating the form

   (progn
     (goto-char (point-max))
     (kill-whole-line)
     )

   has the same effect, and buffer *Messages* will contain the line

   if: End of buffer

   I doubt that this behavior is desirable.

I sent a revised version of kill-whole-line.  That revised version
should not yet be committed, because I still want to change the
documentation string and add comments.  The behavior you describe
would remain unchanged, however.  What part do you consider undesirable
and why?  I do not understand why you get the "if" in:

if: End of buffer

Even with the present version I get, after evaluating your progn:

kill-whole-line: End of buffer

Other than that, the behavior is no different than if you replace
kill-whole-line with kill-line.  Why should it be?

Sincerely,

Luc.