Re: MML charset tag regression

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: MML charset tag regression
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 17:38:55 +0100

> Indeed, people want to make Emacs use Unicode.

Emacs can/does use Unicode, even if it doesn't have complete support
(what does?).  This is largely orthogonal to the internal encoding, as
I keep trying to point out.  That's a red herring concerning the
handling of X selections.

> But it is unfair to say that not being based on Unicode is a
> "problem".

Indeed.  However, the Unicode branch doesn't actually deal with
compound text properly, because it doesn't do extended segments, and
the released version is at best pretty confused about that and I think
not correct.  (Extended segments are not an extension to compound
text, they're part of the specification, contrary to what the current
code says.)  Of course, something in XFree86 and/or gtk disobeys the
CTEXT spec regarding them anyhow, which is another thing that should
be fixed.