Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 14:30:11 +0200

On Fri, 23 May 2003 08:05:31 -0400
Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> misc.el might be a good place to put other editing commands that
> someone wants to install but that don't need to be loaded by default,
> such as zap-up-to-char.

That I would understand. I was not arguing about the precise command
contained in misc, but the fact that having a file in lisp/ for a single
command, and not a very complicated or idiosyncratic one, is weird.

> The output in question is error messages, not code.  These error
> messages may indeed be unchanged in 6 years.

Yeah, I know is error messages. Still I'd be surprised. I follow the GCC
list, and changes to error messages and warnings are often hot topics.

>      - emacs-lisp/tq.el: I don't doubt it's useful,
>
> If the feature is useful, then it is not obsolete.

Ok. Still, I fail to grasp why you sometimes oppose adding a five-line
function as "cruft", and at some other moment support maintaining a
module no one is sure it's used anywhere :)

> That is not a reason to call something obsolete.

<sigh> I haven't called (almost) anything obsolete. I've asked if some
mdules where or not, and stated why I thought they perhaps were...

What about unused.el?

                                                                Juanma