Re: MML charset tag regression

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: MML charset tag regression
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 18:23:23 +0200

Can you write a self-contained statement addressed to the GTK people
requesting them to provide better COMPOUND_TEXT handling, and
explaining more specifically what we need and why?  We need that,
I think, to make the case to them.

I do not understand the issues involved in detail, I do not know what
we need and why.  In my naive reasoning, Emacs would be fine if it
requested UTF8_STRING first and COMPOUND_TEXT second always.  This is
what the free desktop documents seems to recommend.  Or prehaps request
TARGETS first to check for UTF8_STRING, and use that if available and
something else if not (COMPOUND_STRING, STRING or TEXT in that order?).

But then, I am not using any locales that require more than 8-bit characters
so I may be off here.

        Jan D.