Re: Any idea about what makes Emacs slow reading on pipes?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Any idea about what makes Emacs slow reading on pipes?
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:33:39 +0200

address@hidden (David Kastrup) writes:

>>     We might change it so that, after stashing the stuff in a
>>     buffer, Emacs looks again if more data is available from the
>>     same process.
>
> More data will not be available from the same process, since the
> process has not had any chance to get CPU time again for generating
> more data.  We are talking about a uniprocessor machine here.

I'm not familiar with the internals of Unix (-like) systems, but maybe
it is possible to "look" in such a way that the scheduler has a chance
to do its thing.  For example, say that using select(2) causes the
scheduler to run, then we might "look" using select(2).

Hm.  But this might make Emacs quite a bit slower.  So maybe it is a
good idea to only look twice if little data has been received.  If a
lot of data has been read, then we can just process that immediately.
--
This line is not blank.