Re: `map-char-table' bug?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: `map-char-table' bug?
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 17:04:43 -0400

    (let ((st (syntax-table)))
      (map-char-table (lambda (k v)
                        (if (= k ?\()
                            (progn (print k)
                                   (print (char-table-range st k))
                                   (print (aref st k))
                                   (print v))))
                      st))

    produces
    40
    (4 . 41)
    nil

The reason for this is that map-char-table passes the raw contents
of the element, whereas char-table-range and aref handle defaults
and inheritance.

All the other functions that get values from char tables process the
default and inheritance.  The Lisp manual indirectly says that
map-char-table does this too.  I wrote the code--it was not hard.
(It is in many files so I have not included a patch here.)
Does anyone see a reason not to make this change?